American Agriculturist Protective Service Member Sign
Size:14“ height x 7” width
Materials:tin and enamel paint
California Cultivator Farm Protective Service Member Sign
Origin: United States
Size: 18“ height x 12” width
Materials: heavy gauge sheet iron
Object ID: WHP-ADV1
American Agriculturist Protective Service was organized by the American Agriculturist, a publication started in 1843 by the Allen Brothers. The Allen Brothers capitalized on the increase of people moving west due to improved routes of transportation like the widening of the Erie Canal with a monthly publication was well-written, but dry and sparsely illustrated. In 1857, Orange Judd (1822-1892), who had been made the editor in 1853, wanted a way to bring the latest research to farmers, purchased the monthly from the Allen Brothers. He expanded it and began adding engraved illustrations to the publication. He also started publishing a German language edition for immigrants.
Orange Judd created a publishing firm known as Orange Judd and Company. Judd shifted the focus of the American Agriculturist toward the whole family. He published five separate regional editions, expanded the content beyond the production side of the farm, and increased advertisements. This magazine dealt with farmers, gardeners, and the trades that fed into America’s largest industry. In 1888, the Orange Judd Publishing Company bought another agricultural journal, James Hill’s, The Farmer, and would eventually absorb more than thirty agricultural journals.
California Cultivator was a magazine that began publication in 1889 as Poultry in California, became California Cultivator and Poultry Keeper (1892), and finally California Cultivator (1900). It merged with Rural California (1914). It ended publication in 1948 and merged with California Farmer.