The art of winemaking and the rootstock that we call the Mission Grape, belonging to the famed Vitis vinifera species of grapes, were brought to California by the Spaniards. The grape, first known as Listan Prieto, arrived in Mexico around 1540 and was planted in what is now New Mexico in the 1620s.
1144 Pine Street, located on the southeast corner of Pine at 12th Street, has been many things over the years. It is currently an Italian restaurant and formerly home to Villa Creek. Further back in time, to the year 1887 to be exact, the property housed The Wine House and Billiard Hall, owned and operated by E.J. Carpeaux.
As agriculture in California developed, the California Legislature and the University of California worked to determine which dry-farmed crops would thrive in various regions throughout the state. Paso Robles became an important area of study in 1889 thanks to the passage of the Hatch Act of 1887 to provide funding for agricultural experiment stations.
The first large scale commercial vineyards are in San Luis Obispo County, financed by serious capital investors and partnerships shaping history in San Luis Obispo County. For the previous 100 years, the vineyards and wineries were individual or family-owned enterprises.
The first vintage of Tobias 1980 Zinfandel won gold medals at the Santa Barbara County Fair and the San Luis Obispo County Fair. Tobias Vineyard was the smallest winery in San Luis Obispo County at the time.