In the early 1800s, the first vineyard was planted between Mission San Miguel Archangel and the Salinas River. A second vineyard was located northeast of the mission complex on 18 acres at Vineyard Springs, just off Vineyard Canyon. In 1815, a three-room adobe house was built in the center of the vineyard for the padres who tended the vines.
The Mission San Luis Obispo produces over one hundred barrels of wine a year. Its vineyard becomes the mission system’s second-largest, after the Mission San Gabriel’s.
Vinifera vines are imported to Long Island from England and Austrian Empire.
George Gibbs introduces the Zinfandel grape to America.
The secularization of Mission agricultural lands by the Mexican government leads to the abandonment of the vineyards.