Polenta with Soft Cheese: Tellegio or Telleme
- Unsalted Butter – eight ounces
- Olive Oil – ¼ cup
- Minced Garlic – one tablespoon
- Crushed Red Pepper – a dash
- Fresh Rosemary – one teaspoon minced
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Pepper – ½ teaspoon coarse grind
- Chicken Stock – three cups
- Half and half – two cups
- Whole Milk – two cups
- Polenta – two cups, Golden Pheasant Brand
- Parmesan cheese, grated – ½ cup
- Tallegio or Telleme cheese, cut in rectangles ¼ inch wide – approximately 1 ⁄ 2 pound. This soft cheese can be purchased at cheese shops or Italian delicatessens.
- To cook the polenta, use a large copper pot or saucepan:
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Stir together for a few minutes. Add the chicken stock, half and half, and the milk.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. When it boils, remove the pan from the heat.
- Slowly sprinkle the polenta into the hot mixture, stirring constantly in one direction with a wooden spoon.
- Place on the heat, cooking and stirring on low heat. Stir until the polenta thickens and bubbles.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and continue stirring until the polenta rolls off the side of the pan which usually takes another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into a platter with sides.
Caterina’s Favorite Salt Shakers
Lean beef cut in small pieces – two pounds
Flour – ½ cup
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil – ¼ cup to cook the meat
Olive Oil – ¼ cup to saute the vegetables
Yellow onion – one large onion, chopped
Garlic – three cloves, crushed
Celery – one cup, diced
Carrots – six medium carrots, peeled and cut in small pieces
Leek – one washed thoroughly with white parts only sliced thinly.
Potatoes – three potatoes peeled and cut in small pieces
Green beans – ½ pound cut into one inch pieces
Corn – one can or one bag of frozen corn
Peas – one can or one bag of frozen peas
Beef Broth – 8 to 10 cups
Red Zinfandel Wine – one cup
Tomato Sauce – one large can
Tomato Paste – one small can
Pernod Liqueur – two tablespoons
Creme Fraiche or Mascarpone Cheese – three tablespoons
Herbs: two bay leaves
Herbs: Fresh Parsley – two tablespoons
Herbs: Thyme – two teaspoons
Herbs: Oregano – two teaspoons
Herbs: Fresh Basil – two tablespoons
- Toss beef cubes in flour, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in the cast iron frying pan.
- Brown quickly in ¼ cup olive oil.
- In a large pot, add ¼ cup olive oil.
- Add the onions, garlic celery, carrots, leeks, and potatoes.
- Stir to mix all the flavors for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the corn, peas, beef broth, wine, Pernod, and herbs.
- Add the beef.
- Cover and simmer for 1 ¾ hours.
- Add the Creme Fraiche or Mascarpone.
- Stir it in to mix and cook for 15 more minutes.
Caterina’s China for Sunday dinner
To Serve Polenta and Stew with Soft Cheese
Caterina’s Polenta Pot Blackened By Cooking In The Wood Burning Stove
Stack the ingredients as follows:
- A scoop of Polenta
- Slices of Tallegio or Telleme Cheese
- A scoop of Stew
- A scoop of Polenta
- Slices of Talegio or Telleme Cheese
- Topped with a scoop of stew